Frequently Asked Questions
3. How do I know if my fridge has a built-in filter?
Refrigerators with built-in water filters are usually side by side models with built-in ice and water dispensers. You can usually find your filter:
- Inside the refrigerator compartment hanging down from the top of the fridge.
- Inside the refrigerator compartment, some filters slide out or drop down from the ceiling of the fridge.
- Located in the grille at the bottom front of the refrigerator.
4. How do I reset my filter change indicator light?
If your refrigerator has an indicator that tells you when to change the filter, it needs to be reset when you replace the filter. Each manufacturer has different instructions for resetting the indicator.
- Frigidaire - press and hold the reset button on the dispenser until the green light flashes (up to 15 seconds).
- Samsung - press the ice type and child lock buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. Note: Hold the buttons for only 3 seconds. If you press these 2 buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds, the reset function ceases. Release the buttons and repeat the same step one more time. The water filter indicator light should turn green. Alternatively some Samsung refrigerator models require that you press and hold the "power freeze" and "ice type" buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds.
- LG - press and hold the reset button for 3 seconds
You can always refer to your refrigerator owner's manual for exact instructions on how to reset your filter change indicator light for your specific model number.
5. Do I need to lubricate the gaskets on my filter?
Most of the water filters don't need any lubrication, but lubricant/sealant is included with all of our Samsung and LG replacements, as well as some of our Frigidaire replacements.
6. How tightly should I tighten the filter?
All of the filters will hit a stop when they are fully tightened. As long as you install them by hand (not using tools) you will feel the filter hit the stop and know that it is properly installed. Most of the filters only require a quarter to a half turn to tighten.
7. I just installed my filter; do I need to run water through the filter before I drink the water?
It is recommended to run water through the filter for about 3 gallons to flush out the filter and get the filter thoroughly wet so that you get the best performance out of the filter.
8. I just installed my filter and there are black particles in the water/ my water is a dark color - is that normal?
Yes. The particles are from the carbon block inside the filter. Your water should clear up in a few days the more you use your filter. The water is safe to drink. If your water does not clear up within 36 hours; please contact us and we will be happy to assist further.